Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Container Garden

My hesitation and confusion with blogging in the last couple years has been due to the fact that so much has gone on that I have not blogged about that almost anything I say seems to need a backstory, which I just don't have the energy or the determination to put down in words everytime.

Until I get back into the swing of things, I'm just going to post fairly brief updates. Heavy on the photos. If you have any content or "life" questions, ask.

This is what the porch at the "new house" looked like before I set everything up:


Here's my container garden this year:


I've got 4 varieties of tomatoes, 2 peppers, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and broccoli.
 
The varieties of cabbage are not doing well, I had little worms and some sort of aphids that pretty much destroyed them. I got rid of the pests with soapy water, but the plants aren't bouncing back well.
 
The Currant Sweet Pea Tomatoes are doing very well:

 
They were the first to flower and the first to fruit, but nothing has ripened yet. I thought maybe I'd gotten a weird variety that didn't turn red, so I ate one. Ugh!! Nope, not ripe. Don't try that at home. Icky.
 
 
 
Looking good! These were actually the last to start flowering, but they're really coming in nice now.
 
 
I'm excited for these to ripen!! My mom is going to be vexed at the concept of my growing a white tomato and I find that concept entertaining.



 
 
I'm not sure what's wrong with these, but they look more like peppers than tomatoes. They're fuzzy and pointed and super hard and every last one of them seems to be rotting at the bottom pointy end. Just weird.

 
 
Yum, yummy! These are looking great!
 
Sweet Chocolate Bell Pepper:
 
 
 
I don't like Bell Peppers, but the boyfriend does, so these are just for him...
 
I just love the little chalkboard signs I bought from Pick Your Plum. They're really cute and fun and add an extra little detail!
 
Next year we have big plans for a "real" garden, finance permitting. We'll see.
 
What are you growing this year?


1 comment:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Your plants are looking great! I lie using containers. We didn't plant much this year but we hope to do more next year.