Monday, January 2, 2012

Here's to a more productive 2012...

I didn't get too much accomplished around the new house in 2011. I had big plans, but lacked the drive and energy to get anything major done. I'm not going to make any "resolutions", because I suck at follow through. I am the least competitive person you will ever meet and that extends to personal competition or challenges. I will say that I need to look a few pounds, move more, eat better, and follow-through on projects. I believe these are basically the same things I said last year, but there were a lot of changes in my life in 2011. Hopefully now that my personal life, home life, and work life are seemingly stabilized, I can focus more on myself and the beauty of the small things around me.

I did start the year off on high note, though. Back in June, I talked about a little trip to World Market where I bought napkins to turn into kitchen curtains. I needed eight to cover both windows in the kitchen, but only bought four, in case I changed my mind. Then they immediately discontinued that particular pattern (Tree of Life) and neither store in St. Louis, nor the website had four more napkins. They did however have a 60" x 90" tablecloth, which I snapped up, with the thought I could use the napkins I already owned to make pillow covers for the living room. It all then sat in my "project box" for, ooohhhh, six months. I even bought teal pom-pom trim from Joann's to make the curtains more "curtainey" and to tie the colors in with the dining room more. For some reason, projects involving precise measurements and cutting fabric are very intimidating for me.

Anywho, I finally turned the napkins into pillow covers today.



It was a super-easy, super quick project. I didn't use a tutorial; I simply cut one of the napkins in half, slightly overlapped the pre-sewn edges with the cut sides to the outside, placed the pretty side of the cut pieces against the pretty side of the non-cut napkin, pinned, then sewed up the edges.


Ta-Da.


Only problem?


They overlap completely, but only about an inch and after a teensy bit they start to pull open. I need to get a couple of buttons that coordinate and learn how to use the button-holer on my sewing machine. Maybe I'll get that taken care of by next January... lol

I'm linking up my pillow project over at Loribeth's blog Small Moments. Come check out the other "Shared Moments" posted.

Have you made pillows out of napkins? Do you prefer to use a zipper when you make pillows? Have you gotten any projects out of the way this year, yet? What resolutions do you have this year?

9 comments:

jen @ homeinthecountry said...

Super-cute napkin pillows!

I've made a few this way, but have since resolved to only do zipper pillows because of this little problem... and because I find adding a zipper much easier than buttons. I do love the look of buttons on pillows, though...

Happy new year! :)

Shannon said...

I really like that pattern! And that gap looks like the exact opposite of a problem. Doesn't it face the couch anyway? Problem solved...in my book.

Loribeth said...

Thank you for linking up to my party!

I love this idea! I'm going to make some pillows out of my napkins.

If you don't want to do a button, you could do a little Velcro.

Megan {The Brick Bungalow} said...

Cute! I think we may have the same curtains or at least the same color. Love it! :) What if you took an extra piece of solid color fabric and sewed a little stripe of it on the back to cover up the opening? It'd be easier than learning how to use the button hole maker (in my opinion). You could do a teal to match the curtains or another fun bright color?

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I like the pattern you chose a lot. And I wouldn't worry about the gap at all. Almost all my pillows have that problem. You'd think I'd fix it, but I just move on. ;)

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner said...

I love your pillows! I once had great aspirations to make pillow covers out of placemats, but never got around to it. Then the other day I finally broke down and just bought two new pillows at World Market. :) I love your idea though!

the cape on the corner said...

yay napkins on pillows. please. who cares about the backs? as long as the front looks good? perfect!

designstiles said...

I never thought to make pillows out of napkins. I have the seat cushion version of this pattern. I doubt I can ever transform those into something. :)

Loribeth said...

Hi Oonafey! Thanks for linking up to my linky party! I featured your link on my blog!