Monday, February 28, 2011

Media Cabinet Before & After and a Linky Party!!

I wanted to share just the basics of our media cabinet makeover with you today, but I also want to include a little linky party, just for fun. See, I try to make sure I visit anyone who visits me and leaves a comment, but I would really like to try to visit every one of my followers at least once a week. I mean, I only have 69, it wouldn't be difficult. Except when I click on people, sometimes there are no website or blog links attached to their member board (or whatever it's called). I know a few of you, like Comeca, don't have blogs, but most do. So I thought I'd show you mine, if you show me yours! lol Link up with anything you've been working on, your favorite Before & After you've ever done, a room remodel, or just something you want to say... Whatever your little heart desires. You don't have to be a follower to join, I just thought this would be a good way for me to reconnect with some of my followers.

Without further ado, my media cabinet rehab.

BEFORE

AFTER

The built-in television had been removed a long time ago, but the sound components and all the electronics were still intact.


I rescued it from my grandparents basement with the hope that my electrician Mr. could fix it and get the record player to work, but they had cut through all the wires when they removed the television. So, I took all this junk out, primed it with oil-based Kilz, and painted it with a custom-mixed combo of BM White Dove (from the china cabinet) and Glidden Granite Gray (from the bedroom). You can hardly tell it has any gray in it, it's just not bright white. 

Here's an "in-progress" shot:

That was before I decided what to do behind the diamond wire grid on the front and sides. I could have left it open, but I wanted to use it for our surround-sound speakers. So I removed the speakers and the mesh from the existing backerboard (which had convenient holes for the sound to exit) and stapled on cheap light colored burlap from Hobby Lobby. It was $3.99/yard and I had a 40% off coupon. I bought two yards, but I'm not sure I even used a full yard.

I really like the texture it adds. A pattern would have been way too much with the chairs on either side, the eventual gallery wall behind, and the fireplace to the left. And I like the color - natural, neutral, but it doesn't disappear.

I'm not sure how I feel about the pink hardware, though:
The Mr. said it looks like a piece of furniture that should be on a My Little Ponies cartoon, or "you know, that Rainbow Bears show"... Um, Care Bears? Sometimes it is really weird being with someone from a totally different era. He likes the white, but maybe not the pink. I'm okay with that, I'm leaning toward black hardware. I would also love to do a silver leaf detail in all the grooves (not the front accordian grooves), but frankly it seems like a whole lotta work.

I love how a little white paint took it from super-crap 1970's:

to frilly Victorian:

Now it's your turn!
Have you finished any projects lately? Maybe cooked something extra yummy? Painted a room? Gotten a new dog? Had a baby? Whatever... Anything you want to share, link up and join the fun. I don't have a button, so you don't even have to mention this linky party in your blog, but you can. The party will be open to anyone through Tuesday, March 8th at midnight.

10 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I am a big fan of white furniture, and I love the pink handles!

the cape on the corner said...

what a fun linky, i like your idea behind getting to know your followers. it always amazes me that someone would hit that follow button, but not email/say hi. i do when i follow.

gorgeous before and after-love that burlap and the wire criss crossing!

{ to be charmed } said...

Love the transformation!

Kirsti Lukens Craig said...

The pink is fantastic!
I love that you've repurposed the TV frame--great work!

jen @ homeinthecountry said...

the white & pink is a great combo... looks great!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

Ooooh, I love what you've done! The pink is awesome.

Megan {The Brick Bungalow} said...

I like the pink but I can totally see black on 'em too. I love black and white things though... I could totally see me painting them and changing them out over time to different colors. Paint is cheap! :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I love your new color on the television stand and I really like how you handled the open area.

Sachiko said...

This is an amazing makeover! Thank you for your kind comment about my wreath. I appreciate it!

designstiles said...

Gahhh, love the pink pulls. I would think it would be hard work just to change them to black, so I say keep 'em, even if they could be in a My Little Care Bear Rainbow She-Ra show.