Thursday, February 3, 2011

Before and After: 50's Side Tables

I think I may have mentioned that the Mr.'s mom runs a yard sale every April to raise money for their volunteer firefighters. We always get first pick and we have scored some awesome stuff. Everything at the sale is $1.00, except the furniture, which is priced by piece. Last year Mister got an authentic vintage Navy peacoat  and I got a 60's cashmere coat with a fur collar! Items like that are rare though, usually it's a firehouse full of country bumkin junk.

Last year, after the sale, someone brought over a pair of 50's side tables, wood with marble tops. She thought we would like them, so rather than store them for a year she brought them to us (for a small donation of course). They lived in our walk-out finished basement when we had the couch down there.



They were nice enough, but they weren't really our style. Plus, our basement has a major humidity problem is the Spring due to the hundreds of gallons of cold water in the cisterns butting up against the warmer house. We didn't realize the humidity in the basement was reaking havoc on the furniture for a few months. By that time everything had grown mold! Disgusting.

The veneer was starting to buckle in pace as well. We got a dehumidifier and that solved the mold problem, but these guys were still on their last legs. So we wood glued them back together and I slapped some paint on 'em!

Ahh... Much better, no? Let's get a closer look at that pull.

The Mr. made these for me! They used to live on a file cabinet we refinished for our old house, but I snagged them because I want to trash the file cabinet. As soon as I figure out what to do with all our files...

How about a proper Before and After:
BEFORE




AFTER

And some more pics just because remembered to take multiples:




What do you think? What have you made over lately?

16 comments:

the cape on the corner said...

oh MAN! looks awesome, love the shape of them and the pulls. good job!

Erin said...

They look great!

LizzieBeth said...

I think the white compliments the marble sooo much more then the original veneer! Good job!

LB

Anonymous said...

It looks great and the handle is perfect for the piece.

Kristina P. said...

They look great! I am a big fan of white furniture.

Tiffany said...

Awesome! Love that lamp also. Is it mercury glass?

Two Pitties in the City said...

I wouldn't have thought to do that, and now they look so nice! I especially like the tapered legs.

Kate said...

Very nice! Awesome work!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Wow! You are awesome. The color is great and the handle is perfect. So much better.

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner said...

hooray for white paint! i haven't had any good makeovers lately. :(

Megan {The Brick Bungalow} said...

Great job! We had a humidity issue last year too because our HVAC system broke and we didn't have AC for awhile. Put that together with the Missouri humidity and you know what you get. I haven't dealt with it all yet... we have a few pieces of furniture that need some lovin'. I have one piece that is a large jewelry armoire that was a wood veneer (maybe all wood, can't remember) that I think will be painted a fun color. Then there's a kitchen table and chairs and some other stuff... guess that's on my list to do this summer!

Comeca Jones said...

I love it! looks so nice with that lamp!

jen @ homeinthecountry said...

Super-cute tables! The white looks great with the marble! And for free!

I just redid a free desk... pics to come on my blog this week... if I can get my act together. :)

the cape on the corner said...

my friend, i gave you an award. check it here:

http://thecapeonthecorner.blogspot.com/2011/02/im-versastylish.html

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Great job! The marble is so much more lovely now against the white!

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Great job! The marble is so much more lovely now against the white!