Sunday, November 14, 2010

Dare to DIY Blog Party: Week #1

Dare to DIY

Kim over at Newly Woodwards is having a party! Follow along or join in the festivities.

Welcome to Week #1: Dare to be Thankful! In Kim's own words this weeks project is: "Take some time making your own DIY Thanksgiving project. It could be a fun Thanksgiving advent calendar, homemade thank-you cards, a banner or something completely unique."

Frankly this weeks dare was a big, giant fail on my part; I had junk to do all weekend and I completely dropped the ball. So no new project from me. However, I want to be involved and be supportive, so I figured I'd re-post a project from last year. It's not like anybody actually saw it except for Kelly!


My boss receive a book entitled Hello, Cupcake! for Christmas last year and for some reason brought it in to work recently. I was smitten. Everything in the tutorial cookbook is ADORABLE! And very simple, too.
At my grandmothers, for Holidays, the grandkids are not expected to act like adults. We are not asked to bring a dish, or help out in the kitchen. While this can be a relief at times, sometimes it is also nice to be treated as a grown-up. Especially when you have a house, a fiance, a big girl job, and two fur-"babies". So I decided this year that I would make cupcakes! Yay! Only problem is, I've never made cupcakes before. Well, not really a "problem", as I am a fairly good cook, so the baking part was no trouble, but I completely underestimated the time and financial commitment that fancy cupcakes take. I chose to make the "T.V. Dinner" cupcakes and the " Larry the Turkey" cupcakes.



 

I went to Schnucks on my lunch break to buy the supplies. It took forever since I don't bake much and I wasn't sure exactly what I needed. I had decided that instead of the Peas and Carrots cupcake you see in the first picture, I would make a Sweet Potatoes and Marshmallows one. So I needed lots of orange Starburst, but I didn't know how many... And I also decided that instead of Chocolate Pudding, I would make Stuffing. That was easily accomplished with Betty Crocker Ice Cream Praline topping. So I got most of my stuff at the grocer, but I still had to stop at a cake decorating specialty store for the rest, Karen Ann's. She was really nice and incredibly helpful.  Anyway, after 5 hours of baking and decorating, here are the results.




I think they all turned out really great, but it was definitely hard work. You'll notice there are no Larry's and there are also two random "Pudding" cupcakes. I ran out of time and the will to live. Just kidding. But it was 11 pm, I had run out of orange Starburst, and I was tired. So, I deemed it "good enough". I am the queen of "good enough", BTW. But they were a big hit (especially the mashed potato ones), so I was happy.

So what do think of my recycled DIY project? Have you checked out the other links at Kim's?

11 comments:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Oh my gosh! These are amazing and adorable. I'm super impressed that you made them yourself. I have no patience, and esp. for decorating and baking. But, these may have made me change my tune. They are fab.

No worries about re-posting. This is perfect for the party. =) And I totally understand about doing stuff all weekend and losing track of time. I felt the same way this weekend. I was planning to do more and only the chargers were finished in time. =)

Glad you joined in! Have a great week.

Kristina P. said...

I love that book! And the butter ones look amazing.

mollyMAKES said...

Oh my gosh! How cute are those cupcakes! I definitely would never have the patience for those; but I wish I did! They are absolutely precious!

Erin @ DomesticAdventure.com said...

So cute! And now I am hungry! Cupcakes for breakfast sound good to me...

Erin said...

I think I've seen that book, had to put it down and walk away. It was for my own good, but what a surprise to it here!(Can't touch them that far away!)

Shannon said...

Love that book! At one time I said I was gonna bake them all...not happening. Yours turned out amazing! And I love how you lost the will to live! haha I know the feeling.

LizzieBeth said...

Seriously, I am salivating over here. They look de. lish.

LB

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst said...

Very cool! Never heard of the book, but yours turned out awesome! Loving the mashed potatoes! :-)

Lucky Girl said...

Yummy!

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner said...

"The queen of good enough"... lol. Love it!

These are so cute and look delectable! And now more people get to see your project too :)

Unknown said...

What a great idea! It would be fun to use this idea for April Fools Day. :)