Tuesday, August 3, 2010

DIY:More Curtains for Super Cheap

I posted back in March about the tie-ups I made for the dining room windows out of LENDA drapes from Ikea. I also mentioned that I bought a butt-load of LENDA's thinking I would coordinate everything. We have high ceilings, it has been difficult to find curtains long enough to work, and I may have mentioned once or twice that I am out of cash. So in the interest of working with what I've got:

Master Bedroom Drapes Before

Master Bedroom Drapes After


And once again, I apologize for my horrific photography skills.

I got the idea to add ric-rac trim from this pic:

Suburban Spunk via Better After
I still need to add a layer of stiff fabric at the top to keep it from folding over, but I think it looks better than the plain curtains.


It was super simple too. The rolls of ric-rac from Hobby Lobby just happen to be 3 yards each which is perfect for my 100 inch curtains! I used 8 rolls of trim. I waited for it to go on sale, so each roll rang in between $1.50 and $2.00. Not too shabby.

I decided how far from the edge I wanted it, pinned it in place, then sewed over it all. Easy peasy.


It was fairly labor intensive, but super simple. If I was a "finish-a-project-when-you-start-it" kind of girl, I bet it wouldn't take more than four hours, max. Apparently Suzanne (at Suburban Spunk) used no-sew hem tape to keep hers on, so if you don't have a sewing machine, no problem!

I'm linking up to The CSI Project's Fabric & Sewing Challenge and Thrifty Chick Decor's Before & After Party. Join me or just come check out all the superfantastic projects!




12 comments:

Kristina P. said...

What an easy idea. I really love your bed.

Debbie said...

Very impressive, I could not do that...they turned out great!

Lisa said...

Really cute! I love the little detail to add some personality to the usual curtains!

Danielle and Clint said...

This is great! That little bit of black makes a huge statment! Great job!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

This loooks REALLY good. I love the idea of rick rack on simple curtains. I may just have to try this, friend.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

Wow, that is really impressive! I really need a sewing machine. And sewing knowledge. SIGH

decor4poor@blogspot.com said...

Wow those look great. You are crafty. Nice..

Suesan Kennard said...

What an easy way to add some sass to your curtains. They look very cute.

LindsB said...

What a great makeover you gave those panels- LOVE how they came out!

billiemonster said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
billiemonster said...

Hi! Thanks for your comment over at Billie Monster a bit ago! I friggin' love the difference just a bit of ric-rac can make to those drapes. Wow! I have never used that stuff before but wanna give it a try now. :D (ps - I made a spelling error in my previous comment so I deleted it and reposted it hehe)

effie said...

You really did a great job on the drapes! Awesome. You made it really beautiful.
dining table