Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Lemon-Lime Shrimp Recipe

This is my mother's recipe and it's fairly subjective, so the "recipe" is really just a ballpark guesstimation for a jumping off point. It's also doctored to feed a butt-load of people, so feel free to cut it by about a quarter. The actual directions are fairly hazy as well, so it may not be the best recipe for a beginner cook. You will have a ton of "sauce" left over, my family sops it up with crusty French bread. The also eat the excess roasted garlic on bread. This is, by far, the best shrimp recipe I have ever encountered (I may be biased, of course). We always make it on the grill, but she said you could make it in the oven as well. There are no times or temps for anything, you just have to know when things are ready. Like I said, it's hazy, but delicious!

Lemon-Lime Shrimp

Yields approx. 16 servings

8 lbs. unpeeled, tail-on fresh shrimp
12 lemons
12 limes
2 cups olive oil
2 cups garlic (!)
1/2 cup vermouth

1. Cook the garlic in the olive oil on stovetop until fragrant and soft.
2. Mix all ingredients EXCEPT vermouth in a grill or oven safe pan, cover with tin foil. 
3. Grill/bake/broil until shrimp is cooked through.
4. Add vermouth 1 minute before you remove from the grill/oven.

Serve straight from the grill/oven family-style with plenty of crusty bread and whatever sides tickle your fancy. 

Feel free to ask me any questions and I relay them and get answers!




 I am linking up to Tasty Tuesdays at:

Beauty and Bedlam

2 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I am always looking for good shrimp recipes. I have a whole bag in a freezer!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

This sounds so yummy. I don't know that I've ever made shrimp. Isn't that strange?